How to avoid heart attacks?

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jul 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Dear Doctor,

I have a very strong family history of heart attacks and dibetes. My father passed away at the age of 38 due to a strong heart attack and my uncles, and cousin brothers too have heart problems and diebetes.

I have read on internet that below are the main reasons for heart attack:
1) Family History.
2) Overweight.
3) No exercise.
4) Smoking.
5) Diebetes.
6) Lot of stress.

To avoid heart trouble, I jogg daily for 2 km in 15 mins, changed my profession to one which has very less stress, controlling my weight, no smoking and limiting my sugar intake in food. I also stopped eating non-veg or any fried oily substances.

What else can be done to avoid or reduce any chance or heart attacks or diebetes?
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see below.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
Not everything is known about the mechanism and risk factors of anginal heart disease and heart attacks. However there are some recommended preventive measures.
1 Do not smoke.
2. If you have diabetes and high blood pressure, keep it under control as per guidelines.
3. Maintain ideal weight. For Asians ideal body mass index is 23.
4. Keep your cholesterol under normal limits. Avoid fried food, saturated fats and sweets.
5. Do regular exercise. Aim for cardiovascular fitness is to do brisk walking for at least 45 minutes a day at ~ speed of 7 km /hour. This is the goal and should be supervised.
6. Maintain stress free life style.
7. Eat lot of fruits and vegetables. Avoid processed / refined food.
Out of these weight control and daily exercise are helpful in avoiding diabetes. The hereditary effect on occurrence of diabetes is much stronger than for anginal heart disease. 25% of patients with anginal heart disease/ heart attack do not have any traditional risk factor. A number of novel or non-conventional risk factors like lipoprotein-A, CRP, homocysteine has been proposed but none has find favor with our governing bodies. Neither any supplements have been recommended for same.
Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder