How safe is Ketoconazle shampoo for a child?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a question for Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX dermatologist. I am wondering if he can advise me. My son's dermatologist called him in a prescription for capex shampoo..

Are you able to review our prior conversation? This is the capex shampoo my son's docto gave him a prescription for. She wasn't able to call in the prescription for ketoconazole shampoo 2%. I am able to get 1% without a prescription. Will this work or should I try to ask her again for a prescription for 2%? If he leaves the 1% on for twice as long, does that double the strength of the dose to 2%? Thank you!r
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Use 1 %

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Yes I remember our conversation.
1 % ketoconazole shampoo should be fine.
There is not much difference between 1% and 2 %.
There is no need to keep it for longer duration just use it as a normal shampoo.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 6 minutes later
Thank you again!
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina