How long does steroid-proliferated collagen take to clear out from body?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Dear Dr. Vin Bhardwaj,

Recently you advised me on my concerns about steroids i took and proteins proliferated as result of steroids. You advised that all organic molecules degrade, collagen is no exception.

What would be the rate ie would 'steroid-proliferated collagen' still be around today in any part of body? I read knee cartilage collagen is very long lasting. Please could you kindly advise?

Thanks and Best Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Collagen is a protein that can last for years

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Good to see you again. Your right Collagen is no exception. Collagen degrades as a function of wear and tear in the knee. Since its a protein that is constantly being replaced by living cells.. New collagen is being laid while the old stuff is breaking down.

I looked long and hard for an exact half life for the protein "Collagen" but i couldn't find anything. Suffice to say that the protein has to break down within 7 years as all proteins do.

Vin

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj

Neurologist, Surgical