How long does recovery from pneumonia take?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My brother got pneumonia 9/30/17 and after a month he seemed cured after being treated with antibiotics. But then t he pneumonia came back again about 6 weeks after. He is now into 3rd week of recovering with antibiotics again and is feeling better and doing some walking and eating a little more. The doctors have him on steroids and antibiotics. How can we know that this time he will be cured?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get done chest x ray.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Pneumonia is lung infection.
It shows infiltration on chest x ray.
So when pneumonia is resolving, lung infiltration also reduces.
So get done repeat chest x ray.
If infiltration is reduced then pneumonia is improving.
If chest x ray is clear then pneumonia is cured.
Please let me know
1. Is he having fever?
2. What is his previous chest x ray report?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your brother. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 10 hours later
He had his last x ray in the the hospital. He says he feels better and is now walking and eating better. Should I suggest he have an x ray. They are also using steroids.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
If you want to confirm that pneumonia is cured then chest x ray is needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
In your first question, you had put so much emphasis about cure for pneumonia and how we can confirm this.
So if you are want to confirm that his pneumonia is cured then repeat chest x ray is must.
Since he is better and started eating and walking, he is definitely improved from pneumonia.
But chest x ray is must to prove the improvement.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your brother. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng