How long does immunity last after receiving rabies vaccination?

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Infections
Question: Hello Doc,
Gud to see you again.
I have few Question pls reply them...
1. After Full course of rabies Vaccination( 5 vaccines) how long a person is safe? I mean If Dog bite a person after 2 month of rabies vaccination or 1 month of rabies vaccination than the person needs rabies vaccination again??
2. Im being panaroid in this question .... My younger Brother went to a Veneterian medical to take medicine for my Dog.
He had minor scratch near his thumb. medical store owner gave medicines inside paper pouch. There was already a Dog of owner inside the medical store. So, is it possible that medical owner touch the dog and and than paper pouch and through paper pouch it touches my brother's minor scratch??
What is the exposure in this case??
Do you know any case where rabies spread??
is it that easy to spread rabies?
3. he had finished his vaccination on 1 feb.... how long he is secured and don need any other vaccination series....
thank you...
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Minor risk get infected by rabies

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX! Ι have been through your question.

Related your concern I think you shouldn't worry. I think there exist a minor risk get infected by rabies, because having a minor scratch and not contact directly with saliva of supposed infected dog and the fact that your brother has done a full course of rabies vaccination.

However, in the event of exposure through the bite or scratch of an animal known or suspected to be rabid, individuals who have previously received a complete series of pre- or post-exposure rabies vaccine should receive two booster doses of vaccine. Ideally, the first dose should be administered on the day of exposure and the second 3 days later.

This should be combined with thorough wound treatment washing with soap and use local antiseptic and . Furthermore you should ask the owner of this store to be sore that the dog is vaccinated or not and if the dog is vaccinated has no potential risk get infected and you should stop the post exposure vaccination.

Rabies immunoglobulin is not required for patients who have previously received a complete vaccination series.
In countries or areas at risk of rabies, the circumstances of an animal bite or other contact with an animal suspected to be rabid may require post-exposure prophylaxis. In my experience in my country we don't apply a rabies vaccination if the people and dogs live in the main cities but only for them that have contact with dog that stay in the north cities.

I hope my answer helps you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Thank you doctor..
So Doctor in My Case..
Do I need to worry?
Whats your personal take on this?
You mean My Brother is safe And Don need any vaccination...Right??

Doc My Brother Had an Minor Scratch(Broken Skin) near His Thumb and In Vet medical there was a Dog inside. Medical Owner was touching the Dog. He Gave medicine to My brother Inside the paper Bag which May Touch That Scratch.

means saliva of Dog To Owner's Hand to paper Bag To Scratch... (being Panoroid)

Are You 100 percent sure that In this case there is no Exposure?? rabies cant be spread In This way??

As I said He finished his vaccination on 1 feb 2017...

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello again! Thanks writing me back.

Detailed Answer:
I am not 100 % sure, but as I mentioned above you should know that it is also possible, but quite rare, that people may get rabies if infectious material from a rabid animal, such as saliva, gets directly into their eyes, nose, mouth, a wound and minor scratch (as your brother has).

But to be 100% sure to say there not exist the risk of rabies infection, the better way is to ask the owner of dog if the dog is vaccinated or not.
If the dog is vaccinated, definitely I say that there not exist the risk of infection.
But,if you cannot get an information related this (dog vaccination), and based on the fact that you don't know well the epidemiological data of your city related rabies, even your brother has a full course vaccination it is recommended, according the protocol, in the event of exposure through the bite or minor scratch(or contact with saliva as he has) of an animal known or suspected to be rabid, individuals who have previously received a complete series of pre- or post-exposure rabies vaccine should receive two booster doses of vaccine(in the way above mentioned).
I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 11 minutes later
Actully Its Not An infected material from the Dog Directly.

In This Case Dog saliva should Touch the hand of the medical owner and than medical owner should Touch That paper bag with the same hand and than this Paper bag Should Touch the scratch of My Brother's scratch on his Hand.
Fewwwww..

But In this Rabies case Im being panoroid bacause of fear.

Have You ever heart any case in which Rabies sapread In this way?

Rabies Virus Is non effective if saliva is dry or Rabies Virus cant survive long in Air or in Outside the Host...

Thank You for your detailed ans...
so according to you He Has No risk In this case...
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello again! Thanks writing me back.

Detailed Answer:
Related your concern, you should know that the rabies virus is fragile under most normal conditions and it is destroyed within a few minutes at temperatures
greater than 122°F, and survives no more than a few hours at room temperature.

The virus is no longer infectious once the material containing the virus is dry.
Inhalation of aerosolized rabies virus is also a potential non-bite route of exposure, but other than laboratory workers, most people are unlikely to encounter an aerosol of rabies virus.
Non-bite exposures to rabies similar of your brother situation, are very rare.Scratches, abrasions, open wounds, or mucous membranes contaminated with saliva from a rabid animal,constitute non-bite exposures.
Usually in this situation should follow the protocol of vaccination above mentioned.
I have never heard till now any case of rabies spread in this way.
I hope my answer helps you.