How long does immunity last after receiving rabies vaccination?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Infections
Question: I received the rabies vaccine 3 months ago. I believe I was bitten again, possibly by a bat. When I went to urgent care, they ordered a titer test. Everything I read however indicates I should get two booster shots. I am wondering if since only 3 months passed since being vaccinated if I am protected without the booster shots.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on the antibody titer

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
If you had the full course of antirabies vaccine and your antibody titer is good, there is no need for a booster. If the antibody titer is not high enough to give complete protection, you require booster.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 3 minutes later
Hello, thank you for the answer. Since I am waiting for the results of the antibody titer I was worried that if they came back too low, that I was wasting valuable time not getting the boosters right away.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Booster may be taken if there is a delay

Detailed Answer:
If there is a delay in getting the antibodies titer, then you may take the booster to be on the safe side.