How long does Liptor stay in the body?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i sined up last week and had my question answered very well. I have type 2 diabetes. my doctor took a lot of blood work yesterday I have taken liptor80mg for 20 years. I take minvokana and glipizide for the diabetes. She said my liver functions were bad. She is going to repeat all the boodwork on Monday. She told me to stop the lipitor immediately. My questions are two: How long does it take for liptor to get out of your syste? Will my liver tests still be abnormal next week? Will my liver be permamtly damaged as a result of the lipitor I am also feeling tired and slightly nauseaus Also I might be a bit jaundiced.XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
14 hours half life, couple of days out.X permanent

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
before answering your questions, i want to have my word here. A medicine(Lipitor) used for 20 years can not cause that sudden of adverse effects, although possible in the odds of 2 to 3 in every 100 users but had it been the culprit it would not waited for 20 years. Only AST and ALT gets deranged in liver functions. But on the other hand you were using upper limit of recommended dose of 80 mg so that might as well explain the derangement of liver functions.
Also Glipizide needs to be looked after too as that is notorious for liver failures acutely and derangement of such functions.
Now your questions.
1- No your liver functions should not be abnormal next week if due to lipitor as lipitor has 14 hours of elimination half life. so a couple of days and it will be out of your system.
2- And no it wont be a permanent damage if insulting stimulus is stopped which is lipitor as per your doctor suspicions. If still there then other options will be considered as the cause like glipizide or other causes. I suggest you consult a hepatobiliary consultant for further management .
I hope it helps.Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.
may the odds be ever in your favour.
regards
Khan