How long does HPV remain contagious?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi! I was diagnosed with a high and low risk form of hpv about 9 years ago. I was having abnormal paps every few years but haven't for awhile now, and have never had a breakout since the first time. I started dating someone a few years after the diagnosis and removal of genital warts. We dated 6 years and he showed no sign of any breakout, he was aware of the diagnosis. Also, he smoked cigs and drank which I've read isn't good for immune health. Could I still be contagious to a future partner?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Total cure possible with HPV following treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

I had treated hundreds of patients with genital and anal warts. Almost 99% of these patients had a total cure and no longer they are infectious to their partners. Only around 1% had relapse.
Similarly many wives of their HPV husbands remain HPV free even after months of their regular unprotected sex when they present themselves for examination.
So I want to emphasize that there may be both possibilities:
1. You could have cured totally from HPV infection.
2. In presence of you have the infection persisting still, there is possibility of this partner of yours remain HPV free and the future partner might or might not get infected from you.
Only a thorough examination and blood examination and tissue preparations can reveal whether you are totally free from HPV.
I hope that you got the point and get cleared your doubts.
Dr S.Murugan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 39 minutes later
What was the most successfully treatment you used? I believe mine was freezed off, can't remember what the proper word for it was. Also, what was usually the amount of time that passed when you found out they had been cured since treatment?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cryo for vaginal,Podophyllin for Genital,Anal war

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back

In penile,vulval and anal warts, I use Chemical cauterization with Podophyllin application.
In vaginal and urinary meatal warts, I use Cryo application. If there is no relapse within 3 months then it is unlikely to persist.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T