Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

How is costochondritis prevented ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I have a pain right under my right breast, and when I bend over it almost feels like a "charlie horse" cramp.. it takes my breath away, and I have to immediately straighten up. It also feels like something is moving around? Actually it's more towards the middle of my two rib cages. If I press down on it, while lying down the area feels sore. I'm 38 female, overweight (5'3" and 200lbs).
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 32 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

From the symptoms one possibility is of costochondritis or muscle strain. The other possibility is of gall bladder disease. Lower rib pain syndromes are also there. This condition is characterized by pain in the lower chest or upper abdomen, a tender spot on the costal margin, and reproduction of the pain by pressing on the spot. But from your symptoms, it is more likely due to costochondritis.

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the joints in your chest. There is no specific test or investigation for costochondritis. The diagnosis can only be reached after excluding more serious causes of chest pain that are related to the heart, esophagus and lungs.

It is completely curable and treatment involves conservative local care with careful use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen. Application of warm compresses may also help. If there is no relief even with medications, then steroid injections may be needed.

You may need to consult an orthopedician and get the medicines prescribed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor