How is costochondritis prevented ?

Posted on Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have a pain right under my right breast, and when I bend over it almost feels like a "charlie horse" cramp.. it takes my breath away, and I have to immediately straighten up. It also feels like something is moving around? Actually it's more towards the middle of my two rib cages. If I press down on it, while lying down the area feels sore. I'm 38 female, overweight (5'3" and 200lbs).
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 32 minutes later

From the symptoms one possibility is of costochondritis or muscle strain. The other possibility is of gall bladder disease. Lower rib pain syndromes are also there. This condition is characterized by pain in the lower chest or upper abdomen, a tender spot on the costal margin, and reproduction of the pain by pressing on the spot. But from your symptoms, it is more likely due to costochondritis.

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the joints in your chest. There is no specific test or investigation for costochondritis. The diagnosis can only be reached after excluding more serious causes of chest pain that are related to the heart, esophagus and lungs.

It is completely curable and treatment involves conservative local care with careful use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen. Application of warm compresses may also help. If there is no relief even with medications, then steroid injections may be needed.

You may need to consult an orthopedician and get the medicines prescribed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Radhika
Dr. Jasvinder Singh