Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

How is acne and folliculitis treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
i have something swelled up on the bottom of my buttcheek near the inside of my thigh. i thought it was a pimple at first but i dont think thats what it is. its a little swollen and hurts a little but not too much. what could it be?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

If it has started with a pimple like thing and has grown big and painful now, then it seems to be a FOLLICULITIS. It is due to bacterial infection of the hair follicle which has grown XXXXXXX now. It is usually seen in occluded areas of body where one sweats a lot and has presence of moisture.
Also seen more commonly, but not necessarily, in diabetic patients.

I would advise you to see a GP or Dermatologist as it requires oral antibiotics along with topical antibiotic cream.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
1. Keep the area clean and dry
2. Avoid tight fitting clothes.
3. Can apply talc powder which will help in avoiding stagnation of the moisture.

Hope this answers your query, if you have any further questions, kindly write back to us. I'll be available for your follow up questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor