How is HIV trasnsmitted?

Excellent

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
hi doc,

just trying to understand a couple of things regarding hiv transmission via genital to genital rubbing. I know that the risk is essentially zero as hiv can't survive outside the body. I know that the virus can be present in vaginal secretions but that these secretions are found in the vaginal canal and tend to be more potent closer to the cervix. My question is what should be thought of in a situation where the penis glands for approximately 15 seconds, 3 intervals each (total genital touch is 45 seconds.), wouldn't even necessarily call it genital rubbing, but that glands touch the lips of vulva with intention of going in but absolutely didn't go in. I know that the vulva is considered outside the host and that this contact can be considered essentially zero risk. * also 90% chance female does not have virus, i've just been mistrusting, so i guess you can consider her condition unknown. The only reason i've been lead to ask more is because i think i picked up some type of yeast encounter. the reason i say yeast encounter is because: it wasn't a normal situation. I am uncircumsized male (never had sex before and specifically vaginal penetrative sex before) and the next morning after the encounter i say what looked like new fordyce spots, possible caused by the friction of her teeth during 6 second oral (very brief also), so i put neosporin on it for 2-3 days. This was when the red like bumps started to appear, and then i got treated for balanitis. My question is that i am not even 50% sure if this yeast came from the brief contact of penis and labia lips (penis never went in) or if i made the skin sensitive. But i wanted to know the type of nature of this contact and if it's still an essentially zero risk even though i had to be treated for balanitis/yeast. I known that genitogenital rubbing is low risk exposure for hiv/considered outercourse/considered non-risk, but you can still get things like hpv or herpes. Is there any correlation between that yeast encounter and hiv exposure risk, given that the girl's condition wasn't known, *also she was a student like me. I got a really bad sore throat 2 days after encounter which was treated with antibiotics, potentially strep.

Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry too much.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
A warm welcome to Healthcaremagic
The type of exposure and the status of the source patient is defintely in favour of you i.e. no chance of transmission of HIV. How ever without testing, it is difficult to ascertain that. The yeast infection may be due to bad hygiene of either of you. It may be a sexually transmitted infection. All yeast infection may not suggest that there is an underlying HIV infection. Get a throat swab culture done and use mediciine accordingly with consultation from a otolaryngologist. You will be OK within few days.

All the best.
Any more querry? I will bbe happy to help.