How does a clamp help in congestive heart failure?

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello- my 85 year old father in law was recently diagnosed with CHF with 2 leaky valves. His cardiologist mentioned a clamp that will soon be approved that could possibly help with the condition/symptoms. The way I understand is the clamp is used to guide a healthy vein or artery to the heart to help with circulation. Can you provide any additional information regarding the new procedure?
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see below.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam

1. Although it is not very clear that what kind of clamp he was referring to but possibly it is mitral valve clip. The clip helps in reducing the leakage through a severely leaking left sided valve. This helps by reducing the leak and reducing shortness of breath and fatigue. This helps improving forwards cardiac output.

2. This clip is mainly indicated for patients of SEVERE MITRAL VALVE REGURGITATION who are either too high risk for conventional surgery or are not willing for conventional surgery and where mechanism of regurgitation degenerative mitral valve disease. It is inserted percutaneously (non-surgical procedure) and does not require open heart surgery.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 5 minutes later
Thank you - helpful information
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome Ma'm.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari