• question-icon

How dangerous is a BP value of 112/68 and pulse rate of 87?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Over the last three days my healthy 20 year old son has developed a strong heartbeat. He was checked by his doctor today and his blood pressure was 112/68 with a heart rate of 87,the ekg came back normal. There is no pain, fever or any other symptom except exhaustion due to lack of sleep due to the discomfort. He was give atenolol 25mg which lowered his bp to 97/54 and heart rate to 62 but he still feels the heartbeat. I realize stress and exhaustion play a role due to sleep deprivation. What can I do to help him.
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lifestyle changes are needed

Detailed Answer:

It is better to regulate his lifestyle.
In his age there is no need to take medications like atenolol, if he has heart rate of 87 bpm with normal blood pressure, even if he feels strong heartbeats.
He should try to regulate his working hours and hours for rest.
If there is a stress, that he can't overcome, you can refer to a psychologist.
It is good to do some light sport, be much in fresh air, avoid smoking and caffeine, eat much fresh fruits and vegetables, drink much water. He can drink milk in the evening, it helps to have a better sleep.

Hope this was helpful

Wishing a good health to your son

In case of further questions don't hesitate to ask

Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 51 minutes later
I realize stress can be a factor in these type of cases and the ideas for a healthier life style are good. However these are long term solutions. We need something for the short term. He has barely slept in three days and can not continue to function in this shape. From doing research I see that a sustained strong heartbeat is a fairly common problem. What medicines or treatments are available to bring some relief now?
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome back

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

If you want a quick resolution, then a beta blocker (such as atenolol) and a anxiety medication can be used.
But personally, I don't like to prescribe medications in young people, if there are no somatic problems and no drub abuse.
In this case cutting caffeine and nicotine, trying to eliminate stress and 2 tablets of Kalms at night usually work well, as their organism is healthy and can overcome it itself in two or three days.

Take care,

Come back if there are any other questions
Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist