• question-icon

How can vomiting in a child be treated?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 9yr old is vomiting since evening. .. she is fine till she eats ... even banana and curd .. not staying in.... I have given her emeset one dose it's been 50min .... anything else I can give she says she is hungry but puked when fed
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please check the dose of Emeset

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

Emeset contains ondensetron an anti-emetic and used in vomiting. The dose of Emeset is 2 mg for children weighing between 7.5-15 kgs while it is 4 mg for 15-30 kgs.
The average weight of 9 years old child is about 30 kg. So the appropriate dose for this age is 4 mg.
Sometime vomiting persists if medicine is given in low dose or if child vomits immediately(within 10 minutes) after taking the medicine.
Injectable ondensetron may be needed on case of vomiting soon after intake of medicine.
I would like to know if you have given the medicine in appropriate dose or not.
In case child has vomited the medicine soon after the intake you may repeat the dose or consult your doctor.

Persistent vomiting may cause dehydration. So watch for signs of dehydration like sunken eyes, decreased urine output and if you notice any consult your pediatrician immediately.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology