• question-icon

How can tonsillitis be treated?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Infections
Question: hello doctor,
Im 29 years male, actually my problem is my health and im fed up taking different antibiotis. Firstly I developed boils on my back and inside my nostril so the doctor prescribed augmentin 650 duo for 7 days and I finished the course. After sometime again with the same problem so the doctor told me to take doxycycline for 2 weeks. I finished that as well and suddenly developed viral fever for which local doctor gave me 3 days course of Zithrox plus with dolo 650. now the fever came down but I have developed throat pain which is on the left side. im not able to swallow the pain becomes worst in the night while im asleep. Doctor im reli fed up with my health condition. pls suggest...Attaching the picture of my throat...
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tonsillitis

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns. The second round of antibiotics you took was not recommended because you were experiencing a viral infection in which the antibiotic has no role in treating it
unfortunately the photo you sent did not show your tonsils because your tongue was high up.. but the symptoms you are experiencing suggest that you are having tonsillitis , which if has formed pus on tonsils then probably it is due to a bacterial infection which will require another round of antibiotics as ceftriaxone 1gm every 12 hours.
if these infections keep recurring then you will need to exclude causes that might lead to decreased immunity as diabetes and allergy. I hope I answered your question
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 41 minutes later
doctor how to take ceftriaxone and for how many days?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ceftriaxone tablets for 10 days

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, you should take ceftriaxone tablets 1gm every 12 hours for 10 days..I hope you find this helpful
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman