How can swelling and pain in the face be treated after draining a pimple?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2019 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, Our son-in-law wears a cap machine at night for sleep apnea and developed a large pimple (boil). He tried to drain it yesterday and now half of his face is red, swollen and painful. No fever, but pretty painful. He doesn't want to go to the clinic, but that close to the sinuses, well, I think and his wife thinks he needs to go.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Oral antibiotic

Detailed Answer:

Perhaps he has a furuncule which is a bacterial skin infection with cellulitis. I suggest him to take an oral antibiotic e.g either Amoxicillin or Cephalexin 500mg, thrice daily for a week.

In addition to this, he may take a tab. Ibuprofen, twice daily for symptomatic relief from pain and swelling.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Kakkar S., Dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng