• question-icon

How can severe throat pain along with swallowing difficulty be treated?

Posted on Fri, 7 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: 2 days ago I developed cold like symptoms - started with a very localised soreness inside my throat (rt side) - nose started running - the usual cold symptoms. Tonight the pain in my throat has spread all along the right side of my throat and hurts when swallowing and the muscles on the outside of my neck have become very sore when move my head and I can feel some swelling. I have not taken any medication but have been riding it out. I am now swallowing ice cubes and applying an ice pack to my neck. The spreading of the soreness of my throat and the easing of the runny nose suggest it may be more than a cold. I am a kiwi currently in Beijing and flew from Bangkok to London and back to Beijing over the weekend
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably suffering from inflammation in the throat

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for posting your query on Health care magic.
I have gone through your query and can understand your concern.

Looking at your symptoms,you are probably suffering from inflammation in the throat along with neck lymph node glands.

You may find relief by taking the following medications:
Antibiotic like Azithromycin,
Analgesic like Ibuprofen,
Antacid like Rantac,
Antihistaminic like Cetrizine.

Do warm saline gargles.Drink lots of warm fluids.Avoid cold food and dust.

Hope this answers your question.I will be happy to answer you in case of any further questions.Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist