• question-icon

How can severe diarrhea be treated?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My daughter developed diarrhea (4-5 liquid stools per day) after a trip to the Yucatan Peninsula. (She has been working in a dog kennel for about 8 months.) She also has had nausea and rare vomiting. She is finishing up a course of Cipro and Flagyl with no lessening of the diarrhea. She is now having fairly severe right side pain and went to the ER yesterday. CT of the abdomen shows nothing but a few calcified lymph nodes and multiple very small hypodense lesions on the liver. Abdominal ultrasound was negative. She is a rare (social drinker). Can you give me some idea of what may be causing this? I am making an appointment with a gastroenterologist today, but would like to know if I should find someone who specializes in tropical diseases.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A reason to look into conditions transmitted by dogs

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query. I am sorry for what is happening with your 21 yr old daughter.
Cipro and Flagyl is the mainstay of antibiotics for these kind of infections.
It makes sense to draw a specific organism that is causing the diarrhoea. it is important to check out the diseases transmitted by dogs esp Campylobacter, Round worm, Dog Tap worm, Brucellosis.
In my opinion a stool microscopy, blood culture, urine culture should also be done to grow out the organism.
In any case she has to continue with Cipro, Flagyl, Zofran for few more days. An antidiarrhoea drug like Racecadotril may be added. Replace the lost fluids every day with ORS (oral rehydration salts) to keep up the hemodynamic changes in the blood.

Let me know if you have queries.
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam