Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

194 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can persistent irritable bowel syndrome with abdominal pain be treated?

Answered by
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 2065 Questions

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had IBS for years, now I have pain of the abdomen all the time..the hole abdomen.. I have a bowel movement only once a month, maybe two of I am lucky..for years now..but the pain is getting bad.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Dietary plan needs to be reviewed.

Detailed Answer:


First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it must be a source of trouble some.

However the bowel habbit that you have mentioned is too less frequent.

I would suggest following a diet plan by a qualified dietician as foods like fibre rich can worsen the constipation predominant IBS.

Small but frequent meals with at least 8-10 glasses of water.

And non caffiene drinks and limit alcohol.

And restrict caffiene containing beverages to only 2-3 cups a day is better. Oats rich meals can be helpful if carbohydrates intake is needed.

Laxatives are a must in your case but try castor oil drops and other Motility agents as lactulose isn't usually advisable in IBS.

In severe constipation a kleen enema may be needed or manual evacuation by a surgeon may be needed.

Motility agents like domperidone can be helpful.

However medications like in low dose amytryptaline may be needed for continued therapy.

If still uncontrolled psychologists review for behaviour modifications therapy may be needed.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on