question-icon

How can heartburn be treated despite being on anti-acids?

Posted on Fri, 12 Oct 2018
Question: My girlfriend has sever heartburn that will not respond to anti acid, vomiting, ,chills and a low grade fever. What can that be?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:

Treatment is suggested below dear.

Detailed Answer:

Acid peptic disorders usually consist of two phases-
1 Over production of acid that is controlled by antacids and proton pump inhibitors.

2 Is to prevent reflux of this acid back into the oesophagus which caused severe heartburn and symptoms related to inflammation.

To control this prokinetic drugs like Itopride or Levosulpiride has to be taken with proton pump inhibitor (prescription medicine).

As there are chills and fever there are possibilities of H pylori-infected peptic ulcers in your case.

Chills and fever are usually suggestive of infection.

Therefore blood test called complete blood count and an endoscopy should be done to see if there are ulcers or not.

In that case, 1 gram sucralfate would be given four times a day.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Ramesh Kumar, Gastroenterologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist