How can cramps occurring in the calf muscle be treated

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 17 Mar 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My calf muscle is all cramped up and I can barely walk on it or lift ot
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Oral muscle relaxants wll help.

Detailed Answer:
To get relief from the pain and for quick healing:
1. Do hot fomentation at the site.
2. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day.
3. Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation.
4. Do not lift weight or try to do exercise that involve painful muscles.
You should try local pain killer sprays. It does not seem much serious issue but pain should be controlled. There are good medicines which can be used for this purpose, your clinician would know a suitable match for you after examination

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
I have to walk around . can I do that even though my calf is sore and tight
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use an elastic bandage.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can walk around as long as there is no swelling and the pain does not aggravate. You can do a hot compress and use an elastic bandage around the calf for an extra support.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
the whole calf is swollen. is there something I can do to get rid of the swelli g
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be DVT.

Detailed Answer:
If there is a swelling then you need to attend an ER and get a color doppler scan done to rule out DVT. This can be more than just a spasm.
Regards.