How can chronic painful swelling in the joints be treated?

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Lupus
Question: I've had joint pain several years along with joint swelling, swollen joints. My family Dr did blood test my ANA positiv,cpr high, sed rate 45. I gave mouth sores and buturfly rash.
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of lupus

Detailed Answer:
hi
there is a possibility that you have lupus or a related connective tissue disease.
you should undergo a joint examination by a rheumatologist and also undergo further testing of the ANA by indirect immunofluorescence and line immunoassay in order to further decipher the pattern of the autoantibodies.
in case positive you might need to be on immunomodulatory drugs for your disease.
this disease is controllable with drugs and exercise.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Divya Agarwal 1 hour later
Severe coughing and bronchitis every other mo.
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be allergic

Detailed Answer:
however interstitial lung disease should be ruled out by ct scan and pulmonary function testing.
as interstitial lung disease can be related to connective tissue disease.
they are generally progressive unless they are treated. so as you say that your problem gets exacerbated every few months it could be allergic.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng