• question-icon

How can advanced degenerative disc disease be treated?

Posted on Sat, 5 Aug 2017 in Back Pain
Question: My chiropractor has diagnosed me with Advanced Spinal Deterioration and cannot provide any pain relief. What surgical options do I have?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
surgical decompression

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

Thank you for posting the query on this platform.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Advanced spinal deterioration can occur due to many causes,but the commonest is a external compression over the spinal cord causing weakness in the limbs with pain with/without tingling numbness.

If empirical conservative means of treatment are unable to provide you any relief,then surgical decompression is the best option.The compressing tissues like disc,growths need to be removed surgically so the the spinal cord is completely freed from all its sides.

This will help in spinal regeneration and improve your symptoms.

LASER surgery or endoscopic spinal surgeries have better results as compared to the conventional open surgeries due to faster recovery and rehabilitation .

I would be in a better position to help you if you could upload reports/Xray/MRI films about the diagnosis.

I hope the answer was useful to you.

Thank you.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 47 minutes later
I will request the X-Rays from my Chiropractor in the appropiate format for you. Apparently Laser treatment is the newest/cutting edge option?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
laser is the latest technology

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back !

Yes,cutting edge LASER is the newest technology in this field now and has excellent results.
It is the most preferred treatment now.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon