How can a spreading rash on the leg be treated?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
My husband has a rash on his legs. It began yesterday on his lower right leg and is spreading to his other leg. He has been suffering from psoriasis which seems to have been brought on by a wound on his leg and excessive stress. He has seen his Doctor for those two issues and they seemed to be under control. The wound is healed and the psoriasis seems to be under control. I am sending a photo of his leg.
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Schamberg's disease

Detailed Answer:
Hello. thank you.
I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image.
Perhaps he has Schamberg's purpura or disease. It is a benign skin condition and usually affects lower legs, feet and ankle. The typical appearance of the skin in Schamberg's disease begins with the development of multiple, flat, red purpuric dots (resemble cayenne pepper) which fuse together to form red patches. Over time the patches turn brownish and then fade away very slowly. The underlying cause is capillaritis resulting in the leakage of blood from capillaries near to surface. The brown color that develops later is due to hemosiderin deposited in the skin.

Follow-up: How can a spreading rash on the leg be treated? 2 hours later
He has an appointment with the Dermatologist next Thursday. Do you think it should be looked at before that time?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Schamberg's disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
I think he can wait. Schamberg's disease is a benign condition.