How can TMJ be treated?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I've had a TMJ problem for about 4 and a half years now, nothing ever really hurt, my jaw would just get stuck and pop. I went and seeked for help with a TMJ expert and they told me there wasn't much they could do although they didn't even examine me. Furthermore, as of lately anytime my jaw pops, I end up feeling dizzy and spacey, almost a but out of it. The feeling does subside afer some time but I am at my wits end trying to get my life back and would really appreciate some insight on this matter at least to give me some mental peace, or what could possibly be causing this feeling, or what my options are.
Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take painkillers,and start masseter exercises.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic surgeon.
In my opinion, this problem with TMJ i.e. ,frequent subluxation and pain is a difficult condition.The Commonest problem is swelling in the joint combined with weakness of facial muscles.
For this I would recommend analgesics, local hot fomentation and masseter exercises(to be taught by physiotherapist).
Surgical intervention is required in case of fixed TMJ.
I hope this helps you. please feel free to ask any other questions.

Follow-up: How can TMJ be treated? 26 minutes later
What do you mean by "fixed" TMJ? About the surgical intervention.

Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fixed is when there is no movement.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Fixed means that there is no movement at the joint.
In this case some surgical procedures like joint replacement of excision of a part of joint may help.
Thanx

Follow-up: How can TMJ be treated? 1 hour later
I can move everything around fine. Just on some instances it gets caught. What could that mean? Would that need surgery? Also, what could the dizziness after my jaw clicking into place mean??

Brief Answer:
No Surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Since your TMJ is not fixed and sometimes it pops out - it requires reduction of swelling in your TMT with medicines and local heat. Also to balance it you need exercises of chewing muscles ( called masseter exercises) to be taught by a physio. In the mean time you can start chewing hard chewing gums also. Dizziness has no direct relation to Popping out or clicking into place, may be due to pain only ,if you have pain.
Thanx