• question-icon

What do you suggest for limb muscle weakness,drooling,low pitched voice and urinary retention after a by pass surgery?

68 yrs old male underwent coronary by pass surgery in August 2013. Past history of diabetes, hypertension and rec ent onset of schizophrenia. Patient post operative lay treated with seloken xL 25mg, aspirin, clopidrgel, metformin,amilodepin, cardace,liraglutide , atorvastatin 20mg,risperidone plus, solyus, Quetan developed progressive limb muscle weakness, drooling, low pitched voice , urinary retention, and unexplained weight loss of 17 kegs in 5 months. The muscle weakness progressed to facial muscles, pharyngeal musclea, laryngeal muscles , extra ocular muscles to grade 1. Presently in MICU with power grade 2 in limb muscles and on Ryle s tube feeds.vitals are normal. LFT and RFtT , CPK! ECG NORMAL. MRI cortical ischemia. No evidence of stroke.iCannot speak, mask like face. Suspected drug interaction between risperidone and atorvastatin.all anti psychoticsdiscontinued. Atorvastatin discontinued ?So too liraglutide.patient on insulin,aspirin, clopidrgel , antibiotics,and other supportive measures. Minimal improvement since admission five days back.Can treatment be specific?what else could be done.
Thu, 5 Sep 2019
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hello There

After going through your medical query I understand your concern and I would like to tell you that almost all drugs are good set of choice in your condition, for muscular weakness you can ask your cardiologist to lower the dose of statins.

Hopefully this information will guide you properly

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap