Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

129 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can Nstemi be diagnosed without having any blood work done?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Makode


Practicing since :2013

Answered : 1706 Questions

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: How would someone know they had a NSTEMI without having any blood work done? Does it cause EKG changes later? How long do heart attack symptoms last if someone doesnt go to the hospital? Like if its a mild heart attack. Also does it matter to a cardiologist if a patient has ehlers danlos? Or is that insignificant?
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See the description

Detailed Answer:
Nstemi diagnosis needs two things, one is ecg changes and other is troponin test positive. If there are no ecg changes then we get serial ecg at one hour interval and see for changes. If there are no changes then its less likely to be nstemi. Secondly, troponin test should be positive, and if it's negative but ecg changes are present then it is called as unstable angina, a very mild form heart attack. If ecg and troponin, both are normal and symptoms are very typical of heart attack then we go for treadmill test or stress thallium test to confirm the heart as a cause of pain.
Pain of nstemi may last from 12-24 hours without treatment, while that of unstable angina from 10-30 min.
Its matter if someone has ehler Danlos syndrome as it can affect coronary arteries, and such patients will need angiography if heart attack is suspected.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sagar Makode 27 minutes later
Why would they need angiography? Wouldn't it show on the EKG ? I had an episode about two weeks ago that lasted around 4-5 hours. The symptoms waxed and waned in intensity. The strongest feeling was a burning/aching/heaviness in the inside of my upper left arm. Sometimes I would get an aching in my right armpit. I would get this burning/tightness or pressure in my chest, sometimes it felt like it was going to my back. I felt super tired and overall very uneasy. People were asking me if I was ok because I was at work and trying to stay busy but I looked ill. I had called my cardiologist that I had seen before because of POTS and clearance for surgery because I had slight EKG changes after I had a similar episode before and was told I had vasospasms. But that episode was in my right arm and rarely in my left arm and slight uneasiness in my chest but not all the other stuff. My cardiologist said he didn't think it was cardiac pain so I never sought treatment. Now I am going to see a rheumatologist because multiple doctors said I meet criteria for Ehlers. I dont know what to do, because this really feels like my heart but my cardiologist dismissed it. I didn't know if he would think differently if I mentioned Ehlers or not.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See the description

Detailed Answer:
I meant angiography if suspected on noninvasive investigations like ekg or stress testing, echo.
Your symptoms are atypical and not very compatible with nstemi or unstable angina. So probability of any cardiac issues is less. Your ecg is not available but from your opinion, the changes must not be significant to go for further investigations.
But I would consider treadmill test or echo cardiography in order to rule out the disease since it may not be possible to rule out disease on the basis of symptoms only, but yes likelihood is less. All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Stress

doctor1 MD

Hi, My wife had a dermoyd cyst removed a few year ago and with it her left ovary. Every since then, she has had a really hard time during her period. Lately, she has experienced a rapid heart rate. She is 23 years old and 105lbs. Generally healthy but she is a smoker. She rarely drinks alcohol and doesn't do any drugs. Her water intake is good as is her diet. She doesn't feel any stress, although, our life is rather stressful. She is anemic and has low blood pressure and her heart rate averages around 100bpm during her period. Is this something we should worry about?

doctor1 MD

hi,i keep getting out of breath and feeling tied i get a lot off flem in my throat all the time even though i have not a cold,i also had a very fast heart beat which the doctor gave me propranol tablets 3 times a day ca n you tell have i got a heart problem as it is really worry me?

doctor1 MD

I have had a thudding heartbeat for two days, off and on, mostly on. Also accompanied by shortness of breath. The heartbeat isn't fast or irregular, but I can feel it, like it's heavy in my chest. I've had this before a few years ago, and my doctor thought it was anxiety and wanted to out me on an anti anxiety drug, but I felt like it was a physical issue instead of anxiety. I have low stress, not usually anxious, work out a few times a week, non smoker (for 5 years) recently lost about 35 lbs (1-1/2 years ago) Could this be allergies?

doctor1 MD

30 minutes after a run yesterday, that i did not feel was extremely stressful. my heart felt out of rhythm and i was coughing. i felt like the cough was to get it back in rhythm, is it? i am a 50 year old female, have high blood pressure and am about 40 # overweight. i have had a EKG and stress test w/ultra sound and everything is normal.

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I want to improve my brain performance, so visited Ayurvedic doctor to take the swarna bhasma,i am little obese and having snoring problem, so doctor has prescribed varanadi kashayam. Apart from this, i have short temper problem, so...

doctor1 MD

hi i m facing sleep disturbance since last 8 years i feel too much pressure over and behing myleft ears may be it leads to stress and breaks my sleep after i sleep abnormal feeling on left while yawning too much tightness on left ear and...

doctor1 MD

I have low body temperature, and am concerned that my thyroid may be not working optimally. My TSH is 4.13. If I reduce the stress in my life, will my thyroid bounce back ?