Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

How can I quit taking tobacco ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2542 Questions
I want to quit Ghutka, which i am addicdated from last 10yrs. When Ghutka pkt with me i feel very happy & that time i used to think this time i will not purchase more i will quit, but when it get finished i used to feel very disturb & i used go for again purchasing. Pls help me how to quit. I need to IVF for that i need to quit, pls suggest.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Dear Monalim001,

Thank you for your query.

1. Gutkha contains tobacco and many toxic substances. Some of these are irritants and carcinogenic (cause cancer).

2. A common result of regular Gutkha use is Oral Sub Mucous Fibrosis (OSMF) where there is irreversible fibrosis just under the delicate oral and throat mucosa (lining). Intolerance to spicy food and dryness of mouth are common complaints. In severe cases the ability to open the mouth decreases. In some cases this has happened in six months! Hence ten years is a very long duration of use.

3. OSMF is also precancerous. I regularly treat patients of oral cancer who never realized that the Gutkha they were having regularly was XXXXXXX

4. Nicotine (tobacco) is the most powerful addictive substance known and the fastest way to quit is to stop at once with will power alone. Think about the need to have a successful IVF and the unacceptable damage to your baby.

5. Kindly visit this site and see the short video film on tobacco WWW.WWWW.WW
6. Nicotine chewing gum (Nicotex) is an alternative and is available in 2gm & 4 gm gums.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor