Do white patches on the mouth indicate a fungal infection?

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 26 Oct 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question:
I have developed a white patches in my mouth for few days , image attached herewith, is it just a fungal infection or something else & what medicine shall I try. Though it has no pain, no bleeding now. Not increasing though, slightly decreased since its occurred. It is also not scrapable. Shall I be worried. Is it oral cancer or something like that. I am a non smoker, non-drinker & never chewed tobacco. Is it Serious??Whether immediate medical attention required??

1.Exactly for how long this lesion is there?
For 30 Days

2. If this kind of lesion is present in any other site inside mouth?
Available both side gum near wisdom teeth.

3. Is there any history of tooth brush trauma?
No but there may be a chance of teeth biting at same position.

Current medications:

Multivitamin, kenacort gel
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Its simply mucosal fold

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear.

I have seen the images and there is nothing serious about it. Its simple mucosal fold which appears white. It is harmless and a normal feature in many individuals. It has no relation with cancer. Also it is unrelated to trauma.

Relax.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 14 minutes later
Shall it be there permanently or will disappear your own. Whether any treatment required.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. It will vanish and reappear

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear.

Since its normal mucosa, it will shed off and then a newer fold will appear. No treatment is required.

Thanks and regards