Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Hit the elbow, knot gets bigger, tingling in the fingers. What can be the reason, advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 599 Questions
i fell about 3 mos. ago in the bath tub and hit my elbow hard .now i have a knot on it all the time and it gets bigger and smaller but yesterday it started making my hand and arm hurt .hurts to make a fist and sometimes my fingers are tingly.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 6 hours later

Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to have fractured your elbow3 months back. At that time you should have Xrayed your elbow and visited an orthopedician.

2. A swelling at this stage could be due to soft tissue swelling, non resolving hematoma or a malunion of the old fracture.

3. The swelling is probably pressurizing your nerve giving rise to tingling numbness.

4. You need to visit an orthopedician at the earliest, get an xray done (MRI is a mores sensitive investigation if soft tissue involvement is suspected).

5. I would suggest that you should visit an orthopedician and get it clinically examined and investigated as suggested above.

6. A malunion needs surgical correction. A non resolving hematoma can also be surgically removed.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.


Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor