Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Hit on the left side of knee causing painful and protruding vein. What should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I was accidently hit on my left left side of my knee on the right leg and my vein is really hurting and is protruding...What should I do?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

What has happened is the formation of a hematoma under the skin due to the trauma to the knee. Hematoma is a collection of blood caused by XXXXXXX bleeding. This must be appearing as protruding vein. Are you able to bend your knee? In case there is significant pain and swelling then a fracture should be ruled out but an x-ray.

For the hematoma and phlebitis, apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory painkiller like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac after consulting your doctor.

You may need these painkillers twice of thrice daily. Hematomas of the skin and soft tissues are often treated with RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation). If symptoms do not subside then this hematoma may need to be drained. A physical examination and MRI of the soft tissue in the area can confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor