History of malrotation of stomach and bowel. Should I be worried about protruding ribs?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My 19 year old son with history of malrotation of his stomach and bowel and at least 3 vulvulus of his large intestine is not in pain but I noticed his ribs are protruding around his gastrostomy site. Is this something I should worry about? I am venting his stoma and very little air is comming out and does have ileostomy out put
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

I`m not sure, I have understand you correctly and it would be easier to answer your questions if you could attach some photo.
As long as you are able to feed him through out his gastrostomy, nothing is leaking out, no fever and abdominal pain, no vomiting, no shortness of breath, there is nothing to worry about. Protruding ribs can be due to weight lost and lac of fatty tissues. In some cases it can also be caused by fluid in the chest (however it would cause shortness of breath).
If any of mentioned symptoms will appear, you should contact your doctor.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.