What causes greet stool in an infant while on Walamycin?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi my son is 2.5 months old. He is passing green coloured stool not much watery once a day..but he doesn't have diarrhea. Paed prescribed walamycin. Is that okay? Moreover he has his 2nd shot of vaccines 2 days later. Is it okay to give this antibiotic with vaccination?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I don't think that antibiotic is needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform
I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
During initial months of life change in color, consistency or frequency is quite common.
I won't get worried if baby is otherwise active, passing urine, accepting feeds well and there is no other significant abnormality.
Antibiotic is needed only if there is blood or mucus in stool(suggests bacterial infecyion). Even diarrhea(loose stool) in this age is commonly due to virus and does not need treatment with antibiotic.
I would not suggest antibiotic for transient change in frequency, consistency or frequency of stool.
You may give probiotics which helps in maintaining normal gut flora.
Antibiotic does not affect vaccination as vaccination in this age is mainly for virus like rotavirus or poliovirus.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
He is on formula and breastfeeding both. He has gas problem and stretches a lot n making noises while sleeping. Paed said he has stomach infection because of bottle feeding so asked to feed through spoon instead. He prescribed walamycin vitazyme and domstal drops. Moreover he has not passed stool since yesterday I have started these medications last night.

He fusses a lot with spoon feeding n cries after breastfeeding when fully awake so have to give formula. Is there any thing I can do to make him happy?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Proper hygiene should be maintained for bottle feed

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for follow up

Babies on bottle feed and formula feed has more gas problem in compare to breast feed. Also the chances of infections are high on bottle feed.
Improper hygiene and swallowing of air while feed causes infection and gas problem.
Proper hygiene should be maintained while bottle feeding and nipple should be changed frequently.
Burping properly after each feed helps in relieving gas.
In your case I don't think there is any infection and also I won't suggest for antibiotic.
More frequently you will give breast feed to the baby more will be the milk production.
Even if formula feed is needed give it after breast feed with proper hygiene.

I hope these measures will help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad