Hi, wondering about taking the GABA + L Tyrosine supplements

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2019 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi, wondering about taking the GABA + L Tyrosine supplements and curious about your experience and the interaction together.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
About L-tyrosine and GABA;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
Treating anxiety and depression in persons with hypothyroidism sometimes is difficult especially in patients with unstable TSH levels.
Increasing and decreasing circulating TSH levels experimentally alter density of GABA receptor-binding sites for GABA and benzodiazepines in brain, but results vary from study to study and there are many.
The conclusion of most of the studies provide strong support for the hypothesis that there is reciprocal regulation of the thyroid and GABA systems in humans. That is why in high TSH levels, the alteration of humors are common.
Practically, i have never recommended to my patients to take L-tyrosine supplements when there is no alteration of thyroid function.
If high TSH is confirmed than L-tyrosine supplements can be combined with GABA with very good results sometimes.
Hope the information will help.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 3 hours later
Thank you. I am hoping for a bit more clarification, as I have an appt. with my PCP tomorrow.

Let me give a bit more info:
I am unsure if I have high or unstable TSH.
I did have a TSH test last year and this was the result: "TSH- high sensitivity" - the value was: 1.44 mIU/L (which I understand is well-within the "normal" range, so not sure how come listed as "high sensitivity") I have done a fair amount of research on this and I understand that the values can vary and hard to determine if in fact there is a clinical concern.
What I do know, without a doubt is that my hormones or thyroid must be effecting my metabolism because over the course of my adult life, I seem to have to work extremely hard to keep weight managed despite a healthy diet, exercise and lifestyle regimen. What I do know is that I feel more stress and sometimes anxiety (not so much depression) more than I would care to admit. Not always, but more than I would prefer and as life circumstances vary, so does the stress/anxiety level. I also have some of the ADHD symptoms (difficulty focusing and concentrating).
Some of my research found that GABA and L Tyrosine supplements could be helpful to alleviate my symptoms. Do you have much experience with patients taking these supplements, either alone or together and if so, the expected results? Or concerns taking them? Any other recommendations for my complaints would be appreciated.
Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
About L tyrosine and GABA:

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
usually when TSH is within the normal ranges we consider the thyroid function normal, but when there are symptoms very suggestive for thyroid hormone alteration, you should check FT4 anf FT3 too in order to be 100% sure that the thyroid function is normal.
As i mentioned before we do not recommend to take L-tyrosine supplements if there is no alteration of thyroid hormones.
And we should discuss long about the combination of L-tyrosine with GABa if you had thyroid pathologies.
So, check the whole panel of thyroid hormones and if they still persist normal i would not recommend the combination.
Regarding to possible hormonal causes of your symptoms i would recommend to check urinary free cortisol to exclude Cushing syndrome.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj