Hi, I am worried my husband might have the condition

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 29 Mar 2019 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi, I am worried my husband might have the condition pancreatic cancer possibly. He has been having terrible back ache's and pain sometimes in his scotum. I sent him to my Chiropractic Dr. with no relieve. He has an appointment with a regular Dr. on the 28th of Mar. Should he ask to have a complete blood work done. I looked online and they said sometimes in a blood test an enzyme might show up. I understand this is not fool proof in finding out but I was hoping you could give us an idea what he could talk to the Dr. about this condition. I have an account with Unlimited Doctor. My invoice # is HCM343163
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please follow...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!

I read your husband's concerns and I can say as follows:

The back pain has a lot of causes. It's true that pancreatic cancer may cause it but otherwise, there are a lot of other more common causes like muscular issues, discal hernia etc.

So, your husband needs to be evaluated to get an accurate opinion. He needs investigations like:
1. Spine X-ray
2. Abdominal ultrasound ( it will help to determine the structure of the pancreas)
3. blood count( Hb, WBC,RBC,HCT) plus glucose level, liver panel enzymes, albumin level, bilirubin level, urea and creatinine blood level.
4. Specific tests for pancreatic cancer are: Ca19-9 ( tumor marker), lipase blood level ( it rules out pancreatitis)

Hope it was helpful to you...
Hope that your husband has nothing to do with pancreatic cancer.

Dr.Klerida

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T