Hi, For a couple of weeks I've had severe bloating
Get an ultrasound done to rule out hernai.
Hello and thanks for choosing this forum to ask your query,
Have seen your details,
Firstly as far as hernia is concerned get a ultrasound done.
Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate,and would be acted upon by toxic bacteria. Degradation of undigested food in the intestines by the intestinal bacteria would lead to the excess gas formation.This gas compreses the intestines hence cause pain.Take activated charcoal tablets also three times a day along with protonix.
Some other suggestions are-
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Continue to take proton pump inhibitor once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* If I had a patient like you I would perhaps have suggested Prodep (fluoxetine) 20 mg tablet (long term anxiolytic and a prescription drug) once daily for at least 2 months (it may take time for the action to set in). Discuss about this with your treating physician.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.
As far as hernia is concerned to exclude it as a probable diagnosis get a ultrasound done.
Hopefully that should help.
Let me know if I could help further.
Go for the ultrasound as of now, no need for MRI.
Yes, Hernia can be determined by ultrasound of the abdomen. There is no need for an MRI.
Secondly, both medicines are different. Levsin is for IBs while the medication I suggested is for absorbing gas.
Hope I was helpful.
Follow-ups are welcome.
Feel free to ask further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for chronic pancreatitis and recurring ribs pain
- What causes an itchy red rash around the anus?
- Suggest treatment for chronic vomiting when diagnosed with gastroenteritis
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in the ribs
- Is Rabeprazole an effective medication for reflux esophagitis?
- What causes excessive burping and abdominal pain?
- Suggest treatment for severe back pain
- Suggest natural treatment for severe acid reflux
- What causes black stool?
- What causes intermittent pain after anal fistulotomy?