Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Held my breath to open my ears, loud whistle. Now pus oozing. Is this fixable?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2348 Questions
i held my breath to open my ears( pop) and a whitsle loud sound came out. Now their is liquid puss, Is this fixable? or will this problem stay
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 38 minutes later


Thanks for the query

The whistling sound following popping of the ear associated with discharge could be due to damage to the ear drum (tympanic membrane).

Occasionally when an individual tries to clear the nose or equalize the pressure forcibly, there is gush of air through the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear). Following this event, there is increased pressure developed in the middle ear leading to breakage of the ear drum. Breakage of the ear drum is associated with bloody discharge from ear, reduced hearing and noise in the ear.

Do not worry! This perforation usually seals off within a couple of days unless intervened by infection of the middle ear.

First of all, get your ears checked by your doctor to confirm the perforation. Avoid water into the ear, as this may flare up the middle ear infection and worsen your problems. In case you are suffering from flu or nasal stuffiness do steam inhalation 3-4 times/day and use saline nasal spray.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor