Having white patches at the end of tail bone. Adviced for fungal cream. Is it chronic fungal infection?

Posted on Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello,
I have a small white patch at the end of my tailbone at the beginning of the natal cleft. It has been there for around four years now. At that time, I had consulted a doc and he advised me to use a fungal cream. It made the itching and burning go away but the patch is still there with the white skin sometimes shedding off and regrowing. The white rubbery skin comes off when I scratch it with my finger. It has a mild musty smell to it. I thought it was a pilonidal cyst but I think it is not as a hole never developed. Is it some kind of chronic fungal infection? I do not have any problems with my daily activities due to this condition except when I try to be seated for an extended period of time (like 2 - 3hrs). Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 40 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX!
Thanks for the query!
It does seem like a chronic fungal infection. The description you have mentioned sounds like you are suffering from yeast infection caused by a fungus known as Candida albicans. It mostly affects the outer skin and the skin folds that rubs together.
For confirmation, you would need to see a physician who can send a skin scraping from the affected area for microscopy.
The treatment for this involves applying an anti-fungal cream like Miconazole,Tioconazole for 5-7 days after discussing with your doctor. If this does not become ok with this, an oral version of these drugs should be tried.
Till then, the following measures will help
•     Frequently change your under garments
•     Avoid use of leather and synthetic fabrics.
•     Keep your under garments dry.
Feel free to contact for any further queries
regards
Dr. M Ishfaq Habib

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib