Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Having upper abdominal pain and feeling bloated. What could be causing this?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1962
Answered : 693 Questions
Dull ache right side upper ab bloated 46yr male ct scan blood work good Enzo scheduled feels really bloated while standing
Posted Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 31 minutes later
I am glad to hear that your blood work and CT-Scan was O.K.
Bloating indicates that you have slow contractions of the
intestines and gas build up as a result. From your description,
the pain is not very severe. Trapped gas in tthe portion of the
colon that is under the right rib cage can give you dull ache.
Your symptoms could be caused by GERD as well.
I am glad , you are having an endoscopy which might show
a large histus hernia or simply evidence of acid reflux with an
inflammation of the lower esophagus. The doctor will be able
to determine if this is significant and prescribe medications
to control the acidity.
In the mean time, try to cut back on carbonated beverages,
chewing gum, cut back on starches. Have adequate amounts
of liquids. Sometimes, massaging the abdomen gently from
right to left starting at the right lower quadrant and up and
across to the left and down the left lower quadrant.
I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor