Having throbbing sensation in throat and chest. What should I do to get relief?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Have had an interesting sensation the past few days.. XXXXXXX breaths produce a sensation similar to what I experienced as a kid after swimming all day. Lately, a throbbing sensation in the same area presents itself if I'm bending over, or upon standing. I wouldn't classify it as chest pain...more of a XXXXXXX esophageal or throat sensation.

No other signs signaling myocardial infarction...no pain in shoulder, between shoulder-blades, or down left arm. No cold sweat sensation or jaw pain.

Curious if this is something I should get further evaluation of.

I'm 35...5'9" and 175. Physically active
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later

These sensations are a result of reactions to the body for any external agent or stimuli. The stimuli can be foreign body, stomach juices, virus, excessive use of muscle etc. They do not necessarily represent any serious reaction or disorder.

You can try with steam inhalations with vicks and antacids available over the counter. If they bring relief it is well. If not it is prudent to check with the local physician with a chest and ENT examination.

Let me know if you have further inquiry or anything to say about these sensations.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Thank you so much for the reply.

I was just a little taken aback because I had never experienced this sensation before.

I can add (which I don't think I did before) two things:
1) when laying in a supine position and standing, the throbbing sensation in my "chest" increases
2) I've also noticed when placing a slight amount of pressure on my esophagus, there is a noticeable discomfort
Ok thanks for further explaination.

The description is not pin pointing towards any specific illness but would ask to rule out GERD, Gastritis, laryngitis, alveolitis. It should take you for further evaluation to pin point.

Meanwhile take antacids and steam inhalations as suggested.

All the best.