Having swelling in feet after a silent heart attack, is diabetic. Is it too late to do a surgery?

Dr. Om Lakhani

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Heart Attack
Question: Hi,
Good morning.
My father aged 63 is diabetic and 2 weeks back he was having abnormal swelling in both his feet. The general physician suspected an abnormality in his heart and suggested to do an ECG and Echo cardiogarm in which a cardiologist confirmed that he had got a silent heart attack.Next friday(Jan 18th) we would be doing an Angiogram for him.
Below are few lines from the echo report
Regional wall motion abnormality present - mid and apical septum, apex,mid and apical anterior hypokinetic
Moderate LV systolic dysfunction

Is doing an Angiogram on 18th XXXXXXX (around 9 days from now) too late?
Will he require a surgery or an angioplast would be sufficient?
Let me know if you would need a scanned copy of the echo report if the above information is in-suffcienet.
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing in.

Your echo does heart failure. Whether this is new event (acute failure) or has been around for sometime is difficult to say based on echo alone. If you upload a scanned copy of the ECG as well.. we can inform you better. From the history or edema in feet it does seem like a chronic heart failure... however in Diabetics the symptoms can often be masked and difficult to tell based on history alone.

As far as timing of angiogram is concerned, I would suggest you should do is ASAP and go for the further intervention as soon as possible. In matters or heart often time is money... so waiting for 9 days is not going to help matters but can make the things worse.

Further intervention would depend on your angiogram report and this will be discussed by your cardiologist with you. If there are blocks in your coronary arteries and as far as diabetics are concerned most diabetics do better with a bypass surgery then with an angioplasty. Of course the final decision would on this would be given by your cardiologist after your angiogram.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani
Consultant Diabetologist
WWW.WWWW.WW (online expert diabetes care consultantion)