Having stomach upset after taking antibiotics. How to overcome this?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: in taking antibiotics and ir upsets my stomach. how do I overcome this?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Probiotic is necessary with every antibiotic. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Please note that intestines are covered with good bacteria. When taking antibiotic, this bacteria get destroyed so the bad bacteria can grow freely. This is the most common reason of abdominal discomfort or pain during antibiotic course. That is why, every time you take an antibiotic, also probiotic should be taken. It should be taken 30 minutes after antibiotic intake. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
what are the types of priobtic I can take? is amptimil or youghurt suitable?
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Any probiotic containing Lactobacilus Acidophilus bacteria is just fine. Please ask about it in your pharmacy. Yogurt is fine as well. Regards.