Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Having sore face due to sunburn. What should be done?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
hi I have woken up this morning and my face feels slightly warmer to the touch as if I have been sunburned and also slighlty sore as if this was the case, however i havnt been in the sun or on a sun bed? can you give a diagnosis of what this may be?
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Sun Burn
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Ive gone through the image uploaded.
There is erythema over face and some exfolation of skin.One small area of ulceration on right side near moustache is seen.Is it old or recent onset?
It can be seborrheic dermatitis,erysipelas ,insect bite reaction etc.
Also I would like to know -
Is there any itching over the area?
Has it happened overnight?
Any fever /sore throat/bodyache/systemic symptoms?
Is there similar lesions behind the ear /scalp area?
Are you on any prescription drugs?

Answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.
Till the time you can apply a cooling soothing lotion like calamine lotion or elovera lotion over the area.Take tablet paracetamol 500mg twice a day for soreness.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having sore face due to sunburn. What should be done? 26 minutes later
The ulceration by my moustache is a burn and is healing nicely,
I was diagnosed as having rocezia but with treatment it cleared up,
The soreness to my cheeks happened over night and feels like I have mild sunburn on my face.
My face was ok when i went to bed and was very red and a bit sore when i awoke.
I dont have a sore throat or any other symptoms,
Just the fact that my skin is very red and dry,
I also have dry skin on my chin nearly permanantly is this linked?
Is there a treatment I can by or do I need a prescription from my GP?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 24 hours later
HI again,
Thanks for details.
It appears to be seborrheic dermatitis or rosacea.
You can apply topical steroid cream like hydrocortisone 1% cream twice daily.
Also a good quality moisturizer containing XXXXXXX butter,aloe twice or thrice daily will be helpful.You should apply this for 3-4 days atleast and wait for resolution.
Then also if it does not respond then you may need prescription medication like oral steroids,dapsone, topical clindamycin,metronidazole etc.
You can start with hydrocortisone as it is available as over the counter medication .
Hope this helps.
I will be available as follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor