Having rheumatoid arthritis, migraine and hypothyroid. Blood tests showed coagulant issues. Suggest treatment

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi - I am female, premenopausal, with rheumatoid arthritis, monthly migraines, hypothyroid, aged 57 from Australia. I recently had an MRI of brain which showed a couple non-specific T2 hyperintensities throughout white matter likely representing areas of old ischaemic change secondary to small vessel disease. I have also had blood tests recently due to chest compression discomfort, that showed I have 3 coagulant issues - I have Leiden Factor V (heterozygous); APC resistance, Weak Lupus Anticoagulant. I have had not thrombosis 'event'. To treat would you suggest only daily aspirin? Thanks and regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would begin anti-coagulation for you

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX!

I read carefully your query and would like to say that in your case the decision to initiate anti coagulation should be taken with care.

Although you never had a thrombosis event, the brain MRI result shows some abnormalities due to old ischemic change which may be related with your hypercoagulability disorder.

If i was your treating doctor, I probably will begin the anti coagulation in you.

Hope it helped!

Dr.Benard

p.s. Please write back to me if you have any other concern.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 29 minutes later
Thanks for that. (Father - triple bypass and atrial fibrillation. Mother - alzheimers.)
By 'anti-coagulant' I presume you mean more than aspirin, so what is good about the new anti-coagulant drugs?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the following answer...

Detailed Answer:
Hi again!

Yes by "anti-coagulant" i mean more than aspirin. There are available a lot of anti-coagulant drugs. The old anti-coagulants (such as Warfarin) and the new anti-coagulants (such as xarelto).

The new anti-coagulant drugs can be taken at a fix dose, Warfarin doses are variable. Also if you take Xarelto you don't have to monitor INR levels (with warfarin you have to). Another good thing is that Xarelto is a direct inhibitor of coagulation and the effect begin within hours (exactly 4 hours) not days as with old one (warfarin need 2 days to begin it's effect).

Hope it helped!

Dr.Benard

Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 25 minutes later
That's great information thank you. Just one more thing only!! I take naproxen for rheumatoid arthritis flare - I understand it is a blood thinner too. can naproxen be taken with Xarelto?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
naproxen can be taken with xarelto

Detailed Answer:
Hi again!

Yes, naproxen can be taken with xarelto but this combination should be used with care, because the combination of both drugs increase the risk of major bleeding.

I recommend you that before adding xarelto, you explain your cardiologist all the things about all the medications you are taking.

Hope it helped!

Dr.Benard