Having red and inflamed urethra after pulling the foreskin back. What could be the reason?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Men's Health
Question: Hi,

I had a question I was hoping you could advise me on.

Ever since curing my phimosis and learning to pull my foreskin back - I have noticed that the "lips" of the urethra have been red/inflamed. I assume they have been like that for a while now - but I only noticed it recently due to pulling my foreskin back all the way.

No discharge, pain, buring etc. Just the "lips" of the urethra are red/inflamed. Never had sex = not a possible std.

This is a good example of what it looks like:
WWW.WWWW.WW

Do you think just continuing to wash it with warm water + non scented/abrasive soap will clear it over time (due to me not washing it before) - or is this likely an infection that I would need antibiotics for?

Thanks in advanced for any help.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 58 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
I appreciate your interest in maintaining hygiene and natural way of cure rather than resorting to surgical treatment prematurely.
I had a good look at the pictures.
If that is the way it looks , i do not see any reason for you to be worried.
That is how it looks normally for fair skinned people when retraction has happened recently, having been protected by the skin for long and enough time.
Regarding wash, i have some advice. You need not worry about the water temperature or application of soap.
Just retract the foreskin while starting to have showers and let the water and soap fall on it naturally. Clean it as u clean other parts of the body and no special method is needed. Please remember to put the skin in its place again at the end.

You need medical advice when
1. There is burning or pain at the meatus (opening).
2. Burning Urination.
3. Fever.
Otherwise there should be nothing to worry.
Hope this helps. Kindly do not hesitate to revert back for doubts if any, as and when they arise.

DR GS

Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 34 minutes later
Is this something that will go away with time? Approximately how long?

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 4 hours later
Hi
Welcome back.
If you do not have the symptoms i mentioned, it is worthwhile waiting to see if it goes away in 1 to 3 months.
Wishing you good health

DR GS