Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Having poly cystic ovary syndrome and causing slower metabolism. Taking percoset but it takes two hours to work. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12630 Questions
I have PCOS. I recently found out that it can cause a slower metabolism.Would that be why it takes 2 hours for medication to start to work in me? It's especially a problem with pain medication. A percoset (5) only lasts 3.5 - 4 hrs and the first 2 don't count! What can I do?
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes. You can change to other alternatives.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Yes it is true that the metabolism becomes slightly slower in case of PCOD due to the hormonal changes in the body. But the delayed onset of action of percocet and a lesser effect might be due to development of tolerance due to frequent use. Every oral medication may take 45 minutes- 1 hour before the effect of the medicine is evident.
In your case, you can consider changing your pain medicine to some other alternative so that your pain can be controlled effectively and sooner.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having poly cystic ovary syndrome and causing slower metabolism. Taking percoset but it takes two hours to work. What to do? 10 minutes later
This is with all medications...not just percoset. Also, I only started taking it a few months ago. That's why I ask now...never cared before. Is there anything I can do to help make it work faster? Or is there a better delivery system? I am in agony! I get approximately 4.5 - 5 hours total of productive time a day with 3 percosets. I don't want to take more...what I have should be enough.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Endocrinologist will help in metabolism control.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
You can consult an endocrinologist and get the proper medicines prescribed after detailed investigations. Transdermal pain control patches might help you better giving you a sustained relief. You can consult a pain specialist for the required prescriptions.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor