Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Having phimosis from birth. Will this cause any problem during intercourse?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9398 Questions
Hi I am 24 years old male. I recently came to know that I am having phimosis from birth, i am sexually inactive currently i have no problems with it but i read that it can cause problems during intercourse. So please let me know ur advice on it
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 12 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

There are varying degrees of phimosis in different individuals. There are cases of partially retractable foreskin, and cases of complete inability to retract foreskin even in a flaccid state (not erected). As you have phimosis since childhood, there is no pathological cause for this.

Yes, phimosis can lead to difficulty and pain during sexual intercourse (especially in complete phimosis).

Some non-retractable foreskin does not require any treatment as it does not cause any trouble even during intercourse. As your phimosis has not been causing any problems for you yet, it would be best to visit a doctor for a physical examination and only then decide the course of action.

This again, depends on you. If you wish to wait till you have sexual intercourse to realize if you need help, then this would not be a problem. But, if you wish to seek treatment before any sexual contact, you could do this either by surgery (circumcision or slit in foreskin) or medication (stretching of foreskin techniques, steroid creams, etc.).

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further information or clarifications.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having phimosis from birth. Will this cause any problem during intercourse? 8 minutes later
I am very thankful to you and XXXXXXX for this service. I can retract my skin forcefully in flaccid state so it means I have partial phimosis, so hopefully I wont have any problems in future. If I face any problem than does medication (without surgery) gives full treatment? If no then is circumcision painful? what is the recovery time of circumcision? Is there anything to worry as of now?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later
Hello. I am glad I could be of assistance.

Do not worry. Medication is considered more effective in cases of partial phimosis. But, if this does not help much, do not worry.

A circumcision is a day-care procedure (surgery early in the morning, discharge from the hospital in the evening). The only thing you might struggle for a little while is slight pain while urinating (for 3-4 days). The recovery time is between 3-7 days maximum. It is a safe and effective procedure. And very good for personal hygiene and enhances satisfaction during intercourse.

As of now, if you are not experiencing any symptoms, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me if you have any further queries or rate my answers after closing this discussion. I wish you the best in life.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having phimosis from birth. Will this cause any problem during intercourse? 9 days later
Hello Doctor,
I want to know does phimosis also plays a part in amount of ejaculation because my quantity of ejaculation is very less about 2 drops and most of times no drops i am being treated for kidney stones also. I am very worried about this situation any help regarding this will be very very kind.please let me know your suggestions on it
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Hello once again. Hope all is well.

The only role phimosis can play in male infertility is by creating problems with the delivery of sperm. It cannot effect the amount of semen ejaculated. Please understand that, most semen contains a lot of lubricant, and in some individuals, the amount of lubricant is less, but the semen still contains sufficient amount of sperm in the sample to make to individual fertile.

In some individuals, kidney disorders can lead to infertility, but this is seen more often in women than in men. Also, kidney stones are considered a minor and treatable condition. This should not affect your fertility.

In my opinion, it is best to get a semen analysis. From this report we can judge whether or not you are producing sufficient amount of semen and sperm, and if not, how to treat it.

The possible causes for your condition could be: retrograde ejaculation or epididymis. Please discuss the same with your doctor.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further information. I would be glad to help you.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor