Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Having pain on breast during period. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
Hi I have had a aching pain just above my right breast I do notice it hurts when I have my period and I've had a feel and it does feel quite firm compared to the left side please help and it is tender when I press on it.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
You need to be examined by a medical professional. Cyclical breast pain does occur with periods.Thats easily managed with medication. But as you have mentioned,there is tenderness, in which case abscess needs to be ruled out. An infected abscess can cause tenderness,swelling,redness etc and will need antibiotics. Fibroadenoma, fibroadenosis etc are other possible causes. You definitely should be checked out by a physician to rule out fibroadenoma and abscess. You may also need a ultrasound breast to confirm. Start primrose oil tablets daily and have yourself examined.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain on breast during period. Should I consult a doctor? 22 hours later
Hi thanks I have made an appointment with my GP I also have a weird sensation in my left arm too would this suggest something? I don't have any redness or swelling and the pain isn't as bad today as it was yesterday? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 minutes later
The pain in your arm could be nerve related, muscular, or even due to the fibrosis in the breast. You will get a better picture after examination.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor