Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Having pain near collar bone. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1975
Answered : 72 Questions
I am a 41 year old woman. I have been having pain just beneath my right collar bone and in my right upper arm (sort of on the back or side). It is growing in intensity, and will sometimes wake me up. Although it is not constant, it is coming very frequently. My general health is good. I could lose 20 lbs, though. I am 5'7" and 172 lbs. I just moved to California, and I don't have a doctor here yet.
Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 8 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

First, I would like to know if the polyp you got surgically removed was benign or malignant. Did your doctor get histopathology done of the polyp?

It would be difficult to predict the cause of pain - whether benign or serious without physical examination and investigations. The pain could be arising from the shoulder or the lungs. You must get X-ray of the right shoulder and chest done to exclude any secondary growth.

Along with it X-ray cervical spine might also be needed to rule out cervical spondylitis.

Please visit your nearest orthopedic surgeon. He/she can guide you through these tests. In the meantime for symptomatic relief, you may use topical analgesic sprays or ointments along with oral pain killers. Physiotherapy may also provide some relief.

Hope this answers your query. If there are any more queries do let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor