Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Having pain in hip, ibuprofen did not help. X-ray showed spot on pelvic bone. Is it cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9398 Questions
I have been having pain in my hip for about two months. It does not get better or worse. I cannot produce the pain; it does not appear to be positional, and it is worse at night. It wakes me up while I am sleeping. Ibuprofen does not help much. The pain wells up deep inside the joint and then subsides many times throughout the night. Less during the day. I am 64, in good health except high cholesterol. Only take Estrace which I apply twice a week. Went to the doctor for my hip and xrays showed a "spot" on my pelvic bone. I have to get more tests. Now I am getting uclers worrying that I might have cancer. Can you tell me what could cause a "spot" on my xrays?
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Do not worry, I will help you through this with as much information as you need to best understand your condition and situation. The 'spot' is referred to as a hypodense region on an x-ray film. A hypodense region is most often non-cancerous. Let me list some of the most common causes for a hypodense region on an x-ray film are:
-Bone cysts
-Gas from the bowels causing a shadow
-Bone ossification center
-Avascular necrosis (loss of blood supply to bone)
-Bone infarction
-Multiple myeloma
-Cancer (eg. osteosarcoma)- although rare, they can easily be identified on an x XXXXXXX as they appear differently (eg. without clear margins)

Do not worry, cancer is most rare possibility from all the conditions I have listed above. Your doctor has asked for more detailed investigations, go ahead with this, as these will be very helpful in completely ruling out cancer.

I wish you lots of luck. Please do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor